lawnrrd: (kitty)
[personal profile] lawnrrd
Last fall, I went to see my doctor about mildly painful swelling in my groin. As I lay on the table, he said that he didn't feel anything in my lymph nodes. I told him that the swelling was much more pronounced when I stood up, and I showed him. He said, "you have a hernia."

Specifically, I had a bilateral inguinal hernia. They don't routinely repair them these days. Instead, they recommend watchful waiting, which seemed wise to me at first, mostly because it wasn't surgery.

But after thinking it over some more and discussing it with K, I changed my mind. The hernia was a little uncomfortable, and it would only get worse over time, especially with exercise. Also, as low as the risk was of a strangulated hernia, it would be a life-threatening complication requiring immediate medical attention—and I could see myself in some remote corner of the world with K when it happened.

So, two days ago, I had a Lichtenstein hernia repair operation to fix the holes. My doctor said that, once they opened me up, they found that the hernias were relatively big, but that the repair went well. From my point of view, the operation went about as I expected, although I had a panic attack in the recovery room as the anesthesia was wearing off; I suspect that it was a reaction to being intubated.

K helped me get home and has been taking excellent care of me ever since. I'm uncomfortable, but I'm hardly in agony, and the pain medication does its job. Earlier today, I switched from the Vicodin to plain old ibuprofen, which has handled the pain so far.

The only restriction on my activity is that, for the next four weeks, I am not to do abdominal exercises or to lift anything heavier than 15 pounds. Everything else is permitted, so long as it's not too painful, including exercises like swimming and the stationary bike. I expect to be back to work next week.

So I'm taking it easy, and I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend at home with K (did I mention that she's taking excellent care of me?) and the boy.

Date: 2013-02-23 12:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I suspect that it was a reaction to being intubated

Totally. I believe versed is one of the meds they give you in situations like that, and versed is kind of an odd drug. It doesn't really sedate you. (Although they probably gave you something else to sedate you.) Instead, it destroys yr memory for the moments while you're under it. Some part of you, though, does remember it and it's kind of an awful feeling being forced to breathe by a monster machine.

Feel better soon.

Date: 2013-02-23 05:12 pm (UTC)
ivy: (grey hand-drawn crow)
From: [personal profile] ivy
Glad you're recovering well!


lawnrrd: (Default)

May 2017

  1 23456

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 20th, 2017 04:39 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios